Pocket Garden Notebooks

As promised, here is a look at the pressure-print books that I made, mostly on a dare, for this Sunday's Wayzgooze Fair at the St. Bride Foundation, in central London. As with many of my projects, this turned into something a bit more involved than I had origanally planned. 

I started using organics when I frist learned how to pressure print from Roni Gross (thanks Roni!!!) and it was really fun to take what she taught me and apply it to a larger-scale production. I used 12 types of herbs to create over 75 sheets of printed images (double-sided), using three colors that I brayered onto a lucite base. The varaitions the occurred from the different color combos, not to mention the decomposition of the herbs - I was able to get about 10 decent prints from every bunch before they were smashed beyond recognition - really made for some interesting images.  

 Pressure prints cut down to size and ready to be scored

Pressure prints cut down to size and ready to be scored

I've already mentioned the foil-block printing for the covers. Very neat and surprisingly easy. The binding? Yeah, not so much. Turns out sewing is not my friend. I probably did not help by creating a seven-hole saddle stitch model instead of a simpler three-hole one, but the little stitches looked so cute! Not my fault. 

Anyway, after the third attempt to sew ended up in a third spasm attack, even I had to admit causality. Fortunately, Flaminia Rossi, a fellow member at the LCBA, actually likes to sew and was able to help out. We got a nice system going with me doing the awl work and her doing the stitching and were able to finish the rest of them.

 Thank you, Flaminia! 

Thank you, Flaminia! 


After that, they hung out in the book press for a bit, got trimmed, and voila! - they are all ready for Sunday.